- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup corn flour (see Note)
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- NOTE: Available at many health food stores.
In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, corn flour, baking powder and salt; mix well, breaking up any lumps. In a separate bowl combine the milk, butter and egg and add to the dry ingredients; blend just until mixed and large lumps are dissolved. Do not overbeat.
For bread, pour mixture into a greased 8 x 8-inch baking pan and bake at 350° until golden brown, about 55 minutes. Remove from pan and serve immediately.
For muffins, spoon mixture into 12 greased muffin cups. Bake at 350° until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and serve while hot.