Braised Peas with Prosciutto
This side dish goes so well with our entree, Veal Marsala, that you'll never want to serve one without the other. But go ahead anyway. The peas go well with any meat or chicken dish, and could even be served on their own as an appetizer.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz. (50 g) prosciutto, cut into 1-by-1/4 in. (2.5 x .5 cm) strips (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh peas, or frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 Tbs butter
- Melt 2 Tbs of the butter in a heavy saucepan over moderate heat and cook the chopped onions for 7 or 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft but not brown. Add the peas and chicken stock and cook 15 to 20 minutes, covered.* When the peas are tender, add the prosciutto and cook uncovered for 2 minutes, stirring, until the liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.