Enjoy this soup now and then freeze individual servings to enjoy later.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- Trim fat from meat; cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes. In a Dutch oven combine meat, water, celery, mushrooms, carrots, onion, salt, rosemary, pepper, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until meat is tender. If necessary, skim fat.
Stir in tomato paste and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 mintues or until barley is done.
Make ahead tip:
Cool soup; freeze in 1-cup portions for fast, hot lunches. To reheat, micro-cook on 70% power (medium-high) for 5 minutes or until hot. Or, cook, covered, over medium-low ehat about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.